The Athletics Department, in conjunction with the national sports facilities design firm, 360 Architecture, developed and announced an Athletics Facilities Master Plan to address the space and facility needs of the entire Athletics Department – not only now, but for the foreseeable future. The plan was divided into three tiers.
TIER 1 PROJECTS
These are improvements with the highest level of urgency. All three Tier 1 projects are fully funded and are either completed or under construction:
- Addition of 5,642 seats in the south end zone of Cajun Field along with upgraded concessions and restroom facilities and a victory bell tower
- Construction of Soccer/Track offices and locker rooms, directly impacting 7 of our 16 sports. To be completed Fall 2015.
- Construction of a Student-Athlete Performance Center, creating badly-needed areas for strength & conditioning, athletic training and wellness areas for all sports as well as providing office and meeting space for the football staff. To be completed Fall 2015.
TIER 2 PROJECTS
These include two facilities, but they are the most extensive and require the greatest investment. These projects will transform our athletics program elevating us to the top tier of facilities nationwide. It will be the most monumental improvement to Ragin’ Cajuns Athletics since the current complex was built in 1971.
- Renovation and expansion of Cajun Field, a $57.6 million project that will include the construction of facilities that will transition Cajun Field from a stadium used six times per year to a facility that is used year round by our student body, athletes,staff and the community.
- Renovation and expansion of M. L. “Tigue” Moore Field, a $9.8 million project for a baseball program that requires and deserves great facility improvements. Recent national success and attendance that consistently ranks in the top 20 nationally have brought exposure to the program and the need for an overhaul to the 40-year old facility.
TIER 3 PROJECTS
These will include a series of “stand-alone” construction and renovation projects that are in the planning stages and will begin as funds become available:
- Sports plaza on the current site of the Cox Athletics Center ($2.9 million)
- Renovations to the on-campus Academic Center ($3.9 million)
- Enhancements to Earl K. Long Gym ($3.3 million)
- Improvements to the Culotta Tennis Center ($3.4 million)
- Construction of a basketball practice facility ($5 million)
- Construction of a golf practice facility (to be determined)
The new tower at Cajun Field will include:
- A large Stadium Club that will double as a general-use banquet facility
- VIP suites
- Press Box and broadcast facilities
- An athletics ticket office
- Hall of Fame/Museum
- Full-service University bookstore and retail outlet
- State-of-the-art Academic Center
- University-operated cafeteria for students
- Administrative offices
- Video and Sound Studios
The M.L. “Tigue” Moore Field expansion will feature:
- Upgrading stadium seating
- Unifying seating on the first and third base lines with the grandstands
- Club level seats and private boxes
- Modern clubhouse
- Coaches’ offices
- Expansion of Lourdes Park
- New and enhanced fan amenities